Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Let me Introduce Myself...

I don't worry about what a young man is bound to do in the NFL while watching him on Saturday's. Instead I simply enjoy the game that is college football and love to react to games, comments, and just about everything else that has to do with the game. Maybe the product isn't as great as that in the NFL and that's fine with me because college football has the most intense regular season of any sport around.

I grew up a Notre Dame fan and still follow the Fighting Irish as if they are my sibling. If you're an Irish fan check out Domersportsreport.blogspot.com as I am also a writer there but to tell more about myself, I watch more than just Notre Dame on Saturday's. I'm not going to tell you how great Knute Rockne and Bear Bryant were in their days, instead I am going to talk about the game today. During the season I'll preview/review games as well as tell you what I agree with when it comes to game decisions that were made the past week or I'll tell you how I would try to attack certain teams in upcoming games.

I currently live in Chicago which is far from the Mecca of the sport, I understand that. I work in sports-media here in the city currently and have a background in radio. In the future I would love to be able to at least make a podcast to be able to share things quicker with everyone but for now blogging will do.

In order for you to get to know me a bit I filled out a poll I found in an old ESPN Football Encyclopedia and gave my answers. Agree or disagree, here's my favorite all-time in each category:

All Time Favorite Players to Watch:
QB - Brady Quinn, Notre Dame
RB - Ricky Williams, Texas
WR - Larry Fitzgerald, Pitt
TE - Kellen Winslow, Jr., Miami (FL)
OL - Chris Samuels, Alabama
DL - Warren Sapp, Miami (FL)
LB - Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern
DB - Champ Bailey, Georgia

All Time Favorite Bowl Game:
2006 Rose Bowl/National Title - Texas 41 USC 38
-On the biggest stage you saw a field full of stars shine. This game had everything, two heavyweights, star power, and double-digit defiect of a comeback, and an upset to boot in the title game. Games get no better.

All Time Regular Season Game:
October 15, 2005 - USC 34 Notre Dame 31
Perhaps it was because I was there but I have honestly never witnessed a more exciting regular season game. USC, #1 at the time and the defending champs was on the ropes after Brady Quinn gave the Irish a late lead. A 4th and 9 conversion later and a heads-up save by Reggie Bush gave the Trojans a win and allowed them to play for the title later that year.

Favorite All Time Head Coach:
Joe Paterno, Penn State University
Say what you want about ole' JoePa. I understand he doesn't have as active as roll as he once did for the Nittany Lions but its tough to find a coach who has done as much for an entire university, not only their football team. The all-time D1 wins leader and a class act to boot. They don't make them like Joe Paterno very often.

Greatest Team I Have Seen Play:
Its tough to beat the 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers but I can't honestly say I understood how great they were at the time. To me, the 2001 Miami Hurricanes did steam rolled nearly everyone with such ease and had the swagger to boot. Ken Dorsey, Clinton Portis, Ed Reed, Andre Johnson, Kellen Winslow, Bryant McKinnie...do I have to continue? Okay, Jerome McDougle, Jonathan Vilma, and Frank Gore. I'll stop there. I'll take my chances with this set of players against any, ever.

So welcome to "Unprofessional Football" and enjoy in the coming weeks. There are a few diehard college football fans that will be writing here that feel pretty close to the same way about how passionate they are about the sport of college football. Welcome and enjoy.

-Shep
Bleacher Report
Facebook, Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment